2011 – PRESENT MUNRO CONSULTING MANAGING CONSULTANT
Formed Munro Consulting in December 2010 to offer technical, lean construction, value management, contracts, procurement, and expert witness services to the highways and construction industry.
- Support for major contractual disputes on Cambridgeshire Guided Busway in litigation until out of court settlement in client favour. Preparing position papers for Counsel, acting as Witness of Fact, support for mediation, briefing Experts, researching disclosure.
- Assessing compensation events on Cambridgeshire Guided Busway. Assessment of entitlement to prolongation due to delayed award; requiring comprehensive analysis of impacted and baseline programmes.
- Delivering training in highways design and construction for Thomas Telford Training. Preparation of all material and delivery of 2 day courses on highways design and detailing to the DMRB as scheduled by client (typically 3 per year).
- Expert report on entitlement to services area signing Nottingham
- Expert report on surface dressing failure – London
- Providing expert advice regarding alignment of Luton Dunstable Busway in connection with dispute
- Transport Statements in support of planning applications for development
2005 – 2010 TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, ATKINS HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION, CAMBRIDGE
Reporting to the Regional Director, responsibilities include acting as Project Director on large highway projects including A14 Ellington to Fen Ditton, A47 Thorney Bypass, A142 Fordham Bypass, and Cambridgeshire Guided Busway. Departments Representative on A1(M) DBFO. Member of regional management team responsible for Quality, Safety, and Environment
- Wrote the design sections of the A14 Ellington to Fen Ditton ECI project bid that required a delicate balance between historical knowledge and a fresh approach, and was won by Costain Skanska Atkins.
- Design Director/Manager (from 2008) for A14 Ellington to Fen Ditton western (offline) section. Identification of value engineering savings and case development. Management of Cambridge and Birmingham based design teams. Public consultation and liaison. Working with project teams in multiple locations (Leeds, Birmingham, Cambridge, Epsom).
- Project Manager/Director Cambridgeshire Guided Busway (until 2008)
- Reduced the A47 Thorney Bypass programme at bid stage by 18 months and reduced the post-commission stage by a further 18 months resulting in the project being finished on time 3 years ahead of inception programme.
2007 – 2010 HEAD OF TECHNOLOGY – HIGHWAYS, ATKINS HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION, CAMBRIDGE
Atkins is a leading international infrastructure consultancy, with offices around the world. Highways and Transportation is a strategic business unit with a UK blue chip private and public sector client base.
Reporting to the Chair of the Technology Board, responsibilities include leading technical excellence across the UK … developing knowledge management processes … applying lean processes to highways design … developing innovation capture and deployment. Also chair of the Highways Working Group, leading the adoption of BIM in highways, and promoting the adoption of 3D project visualisation as a tool in public consultation and for communication.
- Fostered cross UK collaboration between offices and active knowledge and skill sharing by creating a national identity for highways, launching a dedicated intranet and publication of newsletters.
- Launched Awards to recognise achievement within highways in managing, innovating, developing people, and improving safety. First awards presented in 2010 and proved very popular with high quality entries and outstanding winners.
- Introduced a formal process for securing approval in principle of design data on highways projects with the principal aim was to reduce design iteration and waste.
- Created highways working group with representation across the business to drive business improvement in highways focusing on best practice, training and development, knowledge management and technology.
- Developed a technical career path for highway engineers and technicians along with a standardised skills matrix and managed the development of in-house training courses in key areas.
2003 – 2005 DIVISIONAL DIRECTOR, ATKINS HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION, EAST ANGLIA
Reporting to the Regional Director, responsibilities included managing 90 strong Transport Engineering division in East Anglia. Member of the management board. Prepared business and marketing plans as well as conducting staff appraisals and recruitment.
- Client Director A14 Ellington to Fen Ditton. Key contact between Highways Agency and Atkins. Leading role in Public Consultation, and delivery of Technical Appraisal, and Scheme Assessment Reports.
- Integrated highway design teams from Southend, Chelmsford, and Cambridge into a single business unit in 2003 comprising 90 staff.
2001 – 2003 CHIEF ENGINEER, ATKINS HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION, CAMBRIDGE
Reporting to the Office Director, responsibilities included the management of Highways Division. Bid for and delivered projects. Managed the design and build strategy and led bid designs on major Highways Agency projects. Coordinated Cambridgeshire term consultancy and Highways Agency frameworks. Project managed selected large projects.
1996 – 2001 SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER, ATKINS HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION, CAMBRIDGE
Seconded to Atkins Ireland to manage N25 Kilmacthomas and N8 Glanmire â€“ Watergrasshill projects. Working with Border Highways on M8 DBFO bid in Scotland.
1989 – 1995 Project Manager, Atkins Highways and Transportation, Cambridge
M11 Widening J8 to J14 including public consultation. Resident Engineer on various projects.
1987 – 1989 Assistant Resident Engineer, Essex County Council
1984 – 1987 Assistant Engineer, Essex County Council, Chelmsford
1978 – 1980 Technician, Eastern Road Construction Unit, Witham
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
Chartered Engineer, 1988 … Member of Institution of Civil Engineers … Member of Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
BSc (Hons 1st Class) Civil Engineering, University of Portsmouth, 1984 … Masters module in Lean Construction, Loughborough University 2011.
OTHER TRAINING COURSES ATTENDED
Lean Construction… Consulting Skills … Management of Projects …Influencing Skills … Mentoring and Coaching for Performance … Atkins Management Development Centre … EFQM Assessor Training